Sunday 17 June 2012

WOMEN... HUMAN BEINGS OR COMMODITIES?

***



"Not respecting yourself, is the same as committing suicide at a slow rate."

- Unknown


Have you ever presented a great idea to someone? Ever notice how the more information you withhold, the more they want to know about it? Think of anything you're good at. Let's take arts for example(music, dance, drama...). If you are a good performer, you know that the less times you perform, the more people want to see you perform and if you are good but are constantly appearing on stage, you somehow wear out, or so to speak.

Let us now look at it in terms of business. The business world, is a tricky one, or so i've heard. I've not dealt out there but there is one thing I know. That is; you don't just present good ideas to every Tom, Dick and Harry. You first guarantee peoples complete interest by just mentioning your ideas, and letting them get back to you if they are interested and from there, everything is done under official terms. This way, your ideas remain original as you don't let out too much, making it difficult for someone to use them. 

This message is addressed to all young girls out there. However, it doesn't matter if you are a guy, a mother, a father or in your 20's because i'm sure we all have young people out there that we care about and would want to pass this message to. So please, read on! 

An illusion has been created that women need to sell themselves for attention. It's like we must get some sort of approval from society, in specific, men. This is an illusion, in desperate need of seclusion. I was just on Facebook a few hours ago and happen to have run into a couple of photos from various events around nairobi. Young girls(roughly aged 13-17) have developed a mentality that drains out all rationality from them. In order to look "sexy", you must walk out of your house half naked or in order to attract men, you must show off ALL your "goodies". This is not the first time i'm seeing this of course, but it's the first time i'm doing something about my observation. I choose not to talk about ages 18 onwards because I believe they do not need any guidance as they can distinguish right from wrong and it's therefore up to personal preference.

The point i'm trying to put across here, is that women, are NOT commodities. Women, are the greatest "piece of art". Treating yourself as an object, might give you the temporary pleasure of the spotlight, but the light's will dim out quick, and you will wear out faster than you know it. Women, are the most amazing "business idea", selling yourself out there, might get a million investors interested, but only so they can have what they need from you, then they are out.

Instead, be that "artist", that everyone wants to see perform, and be that "business idea" that everyone is interested in 'investing' in, but only the genuine ones, get to know about. If you treat yourself with respect, people will treat you with the same kind of respect and if you have no self-respect, what reasons do you give people to respect you? I am not simply referring to how you dress and all that artificial stuff, but also how you carry yourself around. Show that you're someone who doesn't take anything short of respect and that is what you will get.

At this point, many people have probably closed this post and if you are still reading on, GREAT because i expect 99% of people to call this nonsense and carry on with their lives. Anyway, back to the topic at hand... The reason I decided to write about this, is not to judge anyone, but to hope that through this message, someone's daughter, sister, niece, cousin or friend learns that they are not a commodity but are worth so much more. I am not a saint, and I haven't made all the greatest life decisions. In fact, if it wasn't for the kind of household I grew up in and the strict parents who brought me up, I'd surely have been that young girl in a photo a 19 year old is looking at and are wondering how to tell me that that is not what i'm worth. 

I write this because I have a 15 year old sister, and this is the message I want to pass to her and other young girls like her. I write this so every time she is tempted by the "fast food culture", she remembers my message to her. I'm really not different from these teenagers to be honest. I'm also trying to find my way in life, though from different angles, but I once had the same struggles. 

As my dad always tells me, "In life there are two schools, one is the one you are familiar with, the other is the school of experience. But you don't always have to learn the hard way, and that is the reason i share my experiences with you, so you don't have to trip before you find the path but instead use them as stepping stones to guide you into the right path". So I share with you this, as i said earlier, not to judge you, but to tell you that decency is the highest form of beauty out there and though it is true you grow wiser by the day, why wait when you could be wiser today?

With that said, I leave you with this...


***

2 comments:

  1. That was fantastic! Sharing now. I find it extremely saddening that girls look up to women who wear almost nothing on TV screens and decide that that is real beauty. Preach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Njoki. I completely agree with you! It is indeed saddening and the fact that majority of these women are mature, but with such little thinking, is puzzling!!!

      Delete