Monday 18 March 2013

AFRIKA's UNTOLD

***
“Just think, that this race of black men, today our slave and the object of our scorn, is the very race to which we owe our arts, sciences, and even the use of speech!" 
~ Count Constantine de Volney


It’s quite ironic you see,
Apparently black is selectively beautiful,
They love my black oil and my black gold,
Yet they condemn my children for the color of their skin.

I am trapped by dead aid that only cripples me,
My children accept the third world status,
With a beggar mentality,
Forgetting the 1st world was built on Afri-Aid.

My identity is consumed in headlines,
Wars that have left nations crippled,
Dirty politics that have left children hungry,
The lack of education that has led to ignorance,
The greed of men that has led to tribal clashes,
The poverty that drives the insecurity,
The unemployment, which drives the idol youth to addictions.

I say there’s so much more to me and my future is bright,
But they say all I am is a dreamer,
I say there’s more to me beyond the poverty, diseases, wars or hunger,
They say I’m just a, dreamer

Many times I ask to give you a break,
A break from stereotypes you attempt to fit me into,
I ask you to take my hand,
And allow me, to introduce myself.

But you call me, THE DARK CONTINENT,  
And say I’m just a dreamer.

You see once upon a time,
I ruled the world,
Yeah, I really did rule the world.
My history was not one of slavery,
But one of inclusion, love, peace and unity.

Kingdoms so large, larger than Western Europe,
Where millions attended universities,
Education that didn’t have them drowning in debts,
Many lived in abundance and luxury,
With no fear of crime, murder or rape.

But violence, they say, is in my nature,
And my children are more prone to commit crimes.

In Timbuktu, my children were uplifted,
Profits were not made at the expense of humanity,
But instead, for humanity,
Souls were not traded,
But instead, enriched with knowledge
A reason why the book-trade was so prominent.

Recorded by Mani as “the world’s third Kingdom”,
Ancient Ethiopia was the first kingdom,
To build stone castles of its kind,
Where coffee was discovered,
And it was the first Kingdom to convert to Christianity.

The Kush Empire, an empire so powerful,
That it defeated the Greek, Persian, Roman and Syrian armies,
A King so competent that he revived the Egyptian economy,
And came to the aid of Israel when it was under attack.

Yet they call me uneducated and uncivilized,
My civilization is burried in the sand, 
As European civilizations are storied,
A reality so suppressed that it sounds almost surreal.
I guess that’s why they call me a dreamer.

Still today, I invite you to take a walk with me along the Nile,
Enjoy the breathtaking view of the Victoria Falls,
Come and witness the great wilder beasts migration in the Serengeti,
Or better yet, take the challenge and see how far up Kilimanjaro you can climb,
Perhaps even wine and dine in the Sahara desert,
Maybe then you’ll understand the beautiful paradise I am.

Alternatively, allow me to alter your perception,
Of the violent culture I am all so commonly associated with,
Let me tell you about Ubuntu,
One of the most beautiful humanist philosophies you never hear of,
A notion that simply stands for, "I am who I am, because of who we all are",
Because I understand, that humanity is interconnected.

You see one day,
I will rule the world again,
Yeah, I really will rule the world,
Not in isolation of others or prejudice towards them,
But with inclusion, love, peace and unity.

Because in Africa, we don’t want to merely go fast, alone,
But instead, far, as human beings,
And so we go together.

And you, you can feel free… To join me.


***

6 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I heard your poem on a FB page (howiviewafrica) it is so beautiful then I decided to have a look at your blog, to tell you that I am really happy when I see people like you, conveying this message about Africa, as a place of love, peace and source of humanity... because people only see the downside of this wonderful continent, of course there are wars (often coming from external factors), but, in Europe wars are even worse and there is fear for the future etc. ... and yes, what you've done is amazing. By the way your writing style is beautiful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lhyza,

      Thank you so much for your kind words and for giving my spoken word a listen. I'm just but one amongst the many out there trying to tell our Afrikan stories :) but i'm very glad you came across my work and enjoyed it :D

      You're very right and it's just ironic that the beauty of the west is what is commonly shown but when it comes to Africa it's the downside that is picked to stand out. For example Africa is reported as a continent full of wars when in reality only less that 10 out of 54 are at war :/

      Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment :)

      Delete
    2. Sanna,

      No worries, it is always to hear your words, I feel they are more and more powerful the more I listen to them, ... You may be one amongst the many trying to do that, but the sad truth is that it is not on all the newspapers, people need to have some interest in African Culture to find this, and those people already know what your culture worths. I will try to share it as much as I can.
      In France my "home" country people hide the truth, and they have this kind of propaganda against Africa on the media, telling people not to go there, because there is war everywhere. I saw a map about the levels of risk, the whole continent was at least classified as "orange" and the other part, "red" of course.
      I have left France, I am in the UK now, they start opening the eyes, because they have more positive relations, due to the fact that there are more African people here, they cannot be blind, and I read a few articles about the rise of Africa, that Africa is the future...

      But there is still a lot of work to do to change the mentality.

      I am sorry to write so much about something you already know, but it is just to thank you :-)

      I will follow your blog, and catch up a bit as soon as I have time

      Wish you all the best ;-)

      Delete
    3. Apologies for the late reply Lhyza.

      Thank you once again for your kind word. And it is really nice of you to help share the message. Much appreciated!

      It's rather sad the perception of Africa out there and what the media puts out. Just like everywhere else, it has its problems, but it also has it's good side. As you said, slowly the media is beginning to show a different & positive side so I guess we can say that is progress :) but you are very right. There is indeed a lot of work to be done, and that's where we all have our roles, respectively, to play.

      Don't apologise for that, it's always great to hear someone else's thoughts and of course to get feedback too on my works so thank YOU instead for taking the time to engage in conversation with me :D

      Thank you for following my blog, taking interest in my work, and your wishes. That truly means a lot!

      Best Regards!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin!

      You can find the spoken word version here: https://soundcloud.com/sanna-arman/afrikas-untold

      Delete