Thursday 30 May 2013

Kenya Stand Up!

***

I will make this as simple and plain as I can, so bear with me.

I have always been very reluctant to speak out on Kenyan politics. I put up a few status'  up here and there but for the most part, I refrain from putting up an opinion piece on my blog. This is because I usually feel it's not in my place to start something or say something as I am not Kenyan and to be frank I usually feel that if Kenyan youth(the people I know) are not that vocal about things, who am I to speak out. But it's now getting frustrating and I will address it. I was born and raised in Kenya, so Kenya to me is pretty much home away from home(SUDAN & SOUTH SUDAN) and I got much love for my Kenyan peoples ;) so I write this because of that connection to Kenya that I have, and also, as most of you know, I have an problem with keeping my opinions on social issues to myself ESPECIALLY when it comes to that sweet motherland(AFRIKA). 

When I was young, my father used to ask me, "what do I do?" and my answer was always "you're a politician" and he'd tell me "No, I am not a politician, i'm a freedom fighter". My thoughts back in the day were, "erm, sure sure daddy, but tomaEto, tomaHto, big difference"... And it's not until recently, (past 4 years or so) that I actually understood that there's a thick line between the two. So I will start by drawing that distinction between Freedom Fighters(the people our leaders are actually suppose to be) and Politicians(the people they actually are). 

A POLITICIAN: A person who fights for self interest AT THE EXPENSE OF humanity.

A FREEDOM FIGHTER: A person who fights FOR humanity IN THE INTEREST OF humanity. 

#NeverGetItTwisted 

A distinction made pretty clear to me by my father. Not through his words, but through his actions. God bless you papa! 

"Seek not greatness, but seek truth, and you will find both" ~ Horace Mann 

Obviously by now you've guessed that what triggered this is the recent vote by Kenyan MP's for a raise in salary to a monthly salary of about $10,000 (£6,540). COMPLETE BULLOCKS!!!!!!!!! 

The average Kenyan earns about $1,700, this is of course that guy who has it reeeeaaaalll good because a significant number of the population are living under $1 a day, so a good month has them living off $29, $30 or $31 depending on the month. 

The wage bill currently stands at Sh458 billion which is over 12 percent of GDP and as President Uhuru Kenyatta recently stated, "This is unsustainable and poses a serious threat to the funding of important development projects, and has the potential to severely affect the country's economic prospects. All arms of government must set the example and lead the way in brining this wage bill down." (http://allafrica.com/stories/201304171517.html

This I think is the point where I ask you to put your political affiliations aside and avoid turning this into a politically driven piece despite your sentiments on the President of Kenya because whether you like him or not, what he stated is true. 

What Kenya has, is politicians. Men driven by greed, ready to step on anyone to have their way. Selfish men who don't give a hoot about that child in the slums of Kibera silently suffering from Malaria because his/her parents don't have the money to afford him/her healthcare, the woman in streets of Dagoretti who has given up on wearing her underpants and has accepted rape as a normal state of being because she believes "what's the point if they are going to take it off anyway"(insecurity), the youth in Kawangware who have lost all hope in life due to the rise in unemployment and have resulted to smoking bhangi, drinking alcohol and doing drugs out of idleness, the mothers in Mathare who die everyday giving birth because there isn't a healthcare system effective enough to cater for all(yes yes I know about the recent changes in maternity, but I am speaking in a general sense so look at the underlying message and don't be petty!) 

I could go on and on, but you get the point! 

One politician recently stated that 'this[lack of raise] will force us into other things[corruption].' I don't remember where I watched that, but it was on one of the local news sources. A shame I don't remember his name because it would be my honour to state his full names(I will find it though and add it on later). Firstly, for politicians to get to a point where they feel comfortable to state such on national T.V, rafiki, there's a BIG PROBLEM. And secondly, this is the highest state of lacking integrity and morality there can ever be!!!! A man with dignity and integrity would never compromise no matter the circumstance, and more so, not in this scenario where it's just greed! 

Have you ever looked in the queues during election times? There's always hope in peoples faces. Hope that their votes will change somethings, hope that their voices will be heard and their cries answered. That the new government will come in and make a difference in their lives and up lift the ordinary mans way of life. Let's be honest, those like you & I who went to private schools, have a good education and can buy iphones whenever we please are never too worried, most times we don't vote. The guys who own big businesses never need to worry because whatever governments comes in, will protect the interests of the "rich" since the personalities are themselves the wealthy. It is always that askari(guard), that househelp or that lady who choma's mahindi(sells roast maize) by the corner that wakes up at 4 am to go que! But at the end of the day, they remain in the same position they were in before they cast their vote. 

When the new government came in, MP's should have been concerned with how to improve the lives of all these people, but noooo, they are more concerned with what car they will drive, what new suit they will wear or the new house they will move into. Keen on filling their own pockets, and draining that of the Kenyans. 

Anyway, I'm a person of many words and I can write for ddaaayysss but I said i'll make this simple so let me get to the end and not drag this on. It is time, we all started to speak out and became the voices for all those that go unheard. Tomorrow you'll still attend brookhouse, braeside, braeburn or whatever school it is you go to. But a child somewhere cannot afford that $300 for a term in school. Let's not be selfish! Speak out for that child! Let them know you care despite the difference in circumstances and let the MP's know you are done, as the youth, taking shit from them(do forgive my french, but i lacked better terms to describe their business)! If you don't speak out now, tomorrow another ridiculous bill will be proposed because it's just like getting a kid used to having sweets whenever they want. 

There's the "Occupy Parliament" movement taking place, join it, be at the frontline of those protests, write about this nonsense, make videos on your frustrations and just let them know you will not be quiet because at the end of the day, even if you don't want to do it for others, do it for yourself because this is the generation that will pay for all these debts! Obviously their decision is being challenged in courts and what not by civil organisations, but where is your voice in all this? 

Last, but definitely NOT least, much respect to the MP's who didn't vote for and to all the young people out there fighting against this. 

TAKE BACK YOUR COUNTRY.

KENYA STAND UP! 




Ok i'm done :) Do forgive any typo's, i gotta run so no time to read through it. 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment